Many people have an 8-12 ounce canaryseed drink made with 5 tablespoons of canaryseed (measured dry) twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Others prefer to drink it throughout the day.
CANARYSEED MILK OR LECHE ALPISTE – BASIC RECIPE
|Servings||Dry canaryseed||Water for soaking||Water for blending|
|1||5||8-12||1 – 1.5||8-12||1 – 1.5|
5 tablespoons is just over 1/3 cup.
Why soak canaryseed?
The tradition of soaking dry grains, seeds, beans and lentils before preparing them serves a very important purpose. It reduces phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that can decrease nutrient availability and the absorption of iron, calcium, magnesium, and zinc. It also activates the enzymatic break-down of starches, tannins and proteins, facilitating digestion.
For maximum nutrition, make sure to soak your canaryseed and rinse it thoroughly before blending it—it isn’t just to make it softer!
To prepare one serving:
- Measure, wash, soak: Measure 5 tablespoons of Pureza Silica Fiber Free™ Canaryseed into a clean container and wash it thoroughly. Pour off the wash water, add 8-12 ounces (1 - 1.5 cups) of fresh, clean water and soak the seeds for 8-12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Strain and rinse: Pour off the soaking water and rinse the canaryseed thoroughly in fresh water until the rinse water is clear.
- Blend: Put the soaked seeds in the blender with at least 8-12 ounces (1-1.5 cups) of fresh water, milk or unsweetened juice and any other ingredients you would enjoy in a blended drink. Blend for 3 minutes on high speed.
Drink the full serving or refrigerate any remainder.
Because the pureed seeds—which will settle to the bottom of the container—actually have a lot of the nutrients in them, we recommend drinking them along with the liquid, rather than straining them out. So make sure to re-blend or briskly stir the canaryseed milk and sediment immediately before drinking a serving.
Silica Fiber Free™ canaryseed hulls
Sometimes empty canaryseed hulls, which can separate from the seeds or groats inside during blending, will float to the top of the glass. You may wish to skim these off the top of the canaryseed milk and discard them before re-stirring the canaryseed milk and drinking it.
Boost the Flavor & Nutrients in your Canaryseed Milk
Depending on your dietary needs and the foods you enjoy, here are some options for adding variety to your leche alpiste:
- coconut milk
- almond milk
- unsweetened yogurt
- brewed herbal teas, rooibos, green tea, sassafras
- agave nectar
- stevia extract
- raisins (dry or soaked)
Fruits (fresh or frozen)
Spices, herbs and extracts
- vanilla (pure, not imitation)
- ginger (grated or powdered)
Nuts and seeds
- sesame seeds, chia seeds, nutritional hempseed
- almond butter, sesame butter (tahini)
- almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, pistachios (soaked)
Oils (sources of omega-3)
An herbal tea, rooibos has a mellow, rich flavor and antioxidant activity like green tea, but without the caffeine. This drink is packed with protein and nutrients and makes a great start to the day!
5 T Pureza Silica Fiber Free™ Canaryseed
1/3 c raw almonds
3-4 c water (for soaking the almonds and canaryseed)
2 T rooibos tea leaves or 3-4 teabags
1 ½ - 2 c water (for brewing tea)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Blueberries, more banana, yogurt, flaxseed oil, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, coconut milk, milk, nutritional hempseed, carob, agave nectar, stevia.
The night before
- Boil 2 cups of water and use it to brew the rooibos tea.
- While water is heating, measure canaryseed into clean container for soaking and add 2 cups of cold water.
- Measure almonds into separate container for soaking and add 2 cups of water.
- Soak rooibos tea, almonds and canaryseed for 8-12 hours in the refrigerator.
The next day
- Remove the rooibos teabags or strain the loose-leaf tea and pour the liquid into the blender.
- Strain and rinse the canaryseed and almonds until the rinse water is clear.
- Add the canaryseed, almonds, banana and lemon juice to the blender.
- Blend for 3 minutes or until smooth.
NOTE: If you prefer a thinner drink, adjust the consistency by adding more tea, water, milk or coconut milk. If you find the almonds do not blend smoothly or are not soft enough for your preferences, try soaking them for two nights, instead of one. (If you do so, make sure to soak them in the refrigerator and replace the water after the first night.)
For the same reasons that flaxseed oil is not used for cooking—heat destroys some enzymes and nutrients—we recommend using canaryseed raw. You may, however, stir soaked Pureza Silica Fiber Free™ Canaryseed into already cooked foods like this delicious oatmeal.
This recipe makes 1 ¼ cups of chewy, hearty cereal that’s a good source of protein, calcium and iron. The flaxseed oil adds omega-3 fats.
1 c water
¼ tsp nutmeg (freshly ground, if available)
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/3 c oatmeal
1 T pumpkin seeds, raw, chopped
1 T sesame seeds
1 T dried apricot, chopped
5 T Pureza Silica Fiber Free™ Canaryseed, pre-soaked for 8-12 hours in the refrigerator
¼ c water
1 tsp flaxseed oil
1 tsp agave nectar
2 drops stevia extract
¼ tsp vanilla extract (pure, not imitation)
½ tsp lemon juice (optional)
- In small sauce pan, bring water, cinnamon and nutmeg to a boil.
- Add oats, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and dried apricot.
- Cover and reduce heat to brisk simmer.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir one final time, and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Puree the soaked canaryseed in the blender with ¼ c water.
- Stir pureed canaryseed and other raw ingredients into the oatmeal and serve immediately.
Banana, blueberries, dried cranberries, coconut milk, milk, walnut oil.
NOTE: For cereal with a smoother consistency, puree the cooked cereal with all other ingredients in the blender before serving. For even more nutrition, soak the pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds for 8-12 hours, like with the canaryseed, then rinse them thoroughly and stir into the oatmeal with the raw ingredients.